Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 31 Olveiroa-Finisterre

Cape Finisterre
May 15

The walks seem to be getting harder. My knee was bad yesterday. We went out to dinner and came back to the albergue, and did not check today's route. Consequently we got lost and Anton, an Italian man we have walked with in the past, rescued us and showed us the path. So off we went up the hill by the windmills. Just great and then over the moors for 12 k. There was clear sky, sun but 30 mile an hour wind not too bad until we had to go down to this fishing village Cee. The road down for at least a mile was all loose large rocks. It was the worse road I have ever walked. The wind kept blowing me to the side and I was trying to balance and not fall  I was so tired when I got to the bottom. We were still miles from our beds.  I will tell you that when we arrived one of our friends from Austria hurt his knee on that road and could not walk. He had to take a taxi and is in his bunk  We gave him some ibuprofen gel. That's all we had. The beaches here are white sand and blue water. Gorgeous. Our biggest surprise was Frenchie. We lost him along the way but met up again at the albergue.  He started out with us. He speaks little English. But he is a walker and has walked all over France. He has a map and he has marked all the places. It was so good to see him and get his hug and kisses. Stu and I went out to celibrate. We passed an older woman sitting in her window and I asked her the best place to get shell fish. She sent us to a place the locals go to. We had plates of butter clams, muscles, little crabs and big crabs and something else I have never had something like a periwinkle. Delicious. Followed by Santiago tort and of course lots of white wine. I am tired. Tomorrow we go out to the light house and then start for Muxia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment